Re: Back With Avengance

From: Pukeloser@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 03:22:36 EDT

Nope, you can do it with the heads on, but I understand that some of the
valve springs near the firewall are difficult to remove (on gen 3's) because
of the brake booster on the drivers side (cant get the spring compresser in
there properly). Just be careful not to drop the valve locks down your oil
holes in the head, cover the area with a lint free cloth. Also be careful not
to drop a lifter down into the oil pan (extra work sucks, this happened to
me and I was being extra careful). Quite frankly though, it would be a good
time to install a set of ported heads since the only other thing you'd have
to do is pull the headers/ exhaust manifolds off and then pull the heads.
This would also make it much easier to change the springs since you could
just do it while the heads are off, you could even have the machine shop give
you the heads fully assembled and wouldn't have to monkey with the springs at
all.

John S