RE: <no subject>

From: Michael Meyerhoff (mike@mypants.org)
Date: Wed Nov 27 2002 - 23:29:12 EST

A 92 V8 had a A518 series tranny... more specifically a 44RH. Even more specifically a 44RH with "CPS bellhousing and the large fluid lines".

Anyway, the 4th gear is actually a overdrive gear tacked on to the rear of the tranny. For it to engage the computer must make it available (using the selenoid on the valve body) and you must not be in kickdown.

Based on your symptoms, I'd say its external wiring. If it was the selenoid itself, it'd work fine once the tranny heated up. The selenoid has a plug where the wiring connects on top of the pan/valve body on the drivers side. I'd check that connection first for corrosion.

mm