Re: Bob Tom Scraps Dakota - Laws

From: Steve D (01dak@Sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 30 2002 - 14:14:58 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne" <blowndakota@yahoo.com>
To: <dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net>
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: DML: Bob Tom Scraps Dakota - Laws

Sorry for the top post but this is the format I must follow.

> I usually don't reply to these types of posts but
> these comments made me felt as I must. Saying these
> types of laws are aimed at the Fast and Furious crowd
> makes about as much sense as opening up with a sawed
> off shotgun into a crowded mall and saying you were
> trying to kill a fly.

This analogy is hysterical and illogical at best. Actually it's idiotic. No
offence.

And a riced out car driven by a testosterone charged 16-25 year old male
trying to impress somebody is a sawed off shotgun fired in a crowded mall.
I've seen too many of the aftermaths to believe otherwise.

>If these so called street
> racers are causing all this mayhem, why not pass a law
> against street racing, speeding or reckless driving in
> general?

Street racers do cause mayhem. They cause death and horrible injuries. They
kill themselves (seldomly) and innocent bystanders and in a case last year a
womans unborn child.

>Of course there are already laws against
> such behavior so more laws will not assist the police
> in enforcing them.

Wrong. The present laws on the books in Ontario have no teeth. Laws aimed at
people who modify their vehicles for the sole purpose of engaging in street
racing are needed. We're not talking about vintage cars here. We're not
talking about people who install CAI's or different spark plugs or blowers
or who legally mod their cars for better power and performance. We're
talking about cars built for street racing, of which there are hundreds on
the road here.

>I certainly would not want a law
> that leaves enforcement up to the discretion of a
> police officer who may or may not understand the
> difference between a Hyundai with a chrome tip and a
> Hemi Cuda.

All laws are enforced at the descretion of the police. Ultimately cops on
the street decide wether or not to lay a charge.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there hasn't been a Hemi Cuda built in 35 years
and it was a production car so it would be exempt from any laws written
today. At least in Ontario it would be. I don't know about where you live.

>The real force behind such laws is
> twofold. One is to keep you out from under the hood
> of your own car so you are at the mercy of dealerships
> and manufactures. The other is to allow large
> factories and corporations to continue to destroy the
> environment while putting the blame on the consumer.
> I am sorry, but the thought that laws such as these
> are put in place to ensure the safety of those on the
> roads is laughable at best.

Sorry Wayne but this is just paranoid beyond belief. You're saying that laws
aimed at keeping people from racing on the streets are actually part of a
conspiracy between government, dealerships and manufacturers aimed at
keeping you from servicing your own vehicle? OK.

I don't know what goes on where you live but in the Greater Toronto Area 28
people died last year (2001) in street racing accidents. Eighteen of those
were the occupants of the vehicles, not necessarily the driver. 10 were
people minding their own damn business and going about their lives until
some irresponsible punk decided to kill them. If one of those 10 were a
friend or loved one of your's I'm sure your tune would be different. If you
had to clean goo of the road at 3:00am your tune would be different too.

BTW. The longest jail term handed out last year for fatalities involving
street racing was to a 17 year old who killed a classmate of his while
racing another classmate. (he boy he killed was just walking down the
sidewalk oblivious to the fact that two idiots were racing.) The length of
his sentence? 90 days in jail. Pretty easy time for taking a life.

And before you accuse me of being a tree hugging Al Gore (whoever he is) I
drive a Dakota I plan to built up to a 5.9, blown if money allows and I live
in Canada so American laws and American politicians mean nothing to me; only
American cars ;<)