Re: Hitch questions (was: We're not allowed in the RV show)

From: andy levy (andylevy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 22:57:46 EST

Jason Bleazard wrote:
> However... I found that there is a sticker on the hitch that talks about the
> hitch rating. I didn't previously know that the hitch was rated separately
> from the truck. It talks about whether it's weight distributing or weight
> carrying. Weight distributing says max weight 6500 lbs, tongue weight 750
> lbs. Weight carrying says 3500 / 350 lbs.

This means (I think) that if you have weight distribution gear on the
hitch, you can carry 6500, otherwise it's 3500. The weight distribution
gear is attached between the hitch & the trailer (IOW, you don't have it
yet).

Make sure you have electric brakes on the trailer and a good controller
in the truck. It may not be mandated by law for the size trailer you
have, but it's worth it.

> Why not? My '95 is rated at 5100 lbs trailer weight with the V6, which is
> actually a couple hundred higher than the QC. This is due to the axle
> ratios (3.9:1 with the V6, 3.55:1 in the QC). That, plus the fact that the
> '95 is significantly lighter than our QC makes me think it'll be just fine.
> I'm not positive about the hitch, though. It's an aftermarket U-Haul model.

Don't do it for very long distances. While the weight may be OK, the
combination of weight and wheelbase may put you in a "tail wagging the
dog" situation. A family friend lost his 30' trailer in part because he
hooked it up to too small a vehicle (4Runner).

> I did talk to one of the more technically oriented guys from the RV dealer
> yesterday at the show, because I was a bit concerned about the weight. When
> I told him we had the 4.7, he said it would be fine. Apparently he's had a
> lot of people pull this trailer with 6-cyl Windstars, S-10 Blazers and the
> like. My parents have one of those Blazers, and it's basically a glorified
> station wagon. It's pretty gutless. Now, just because other people have
> hooked the trailer up to a Blazer doesn't necessarily mean it's an entirely
> safe thing to do. I'm well aware of this fact. But I figure that if they
> can get away with a little piece of junk like that (safety margin or not),
> we should be in good shape with our Real Trucks :-).

Sorry to be blunt, but stop listening to this guy. Doesn't matter if
the engine's willing, if the vehicle as whole isn't configured properly,
you're headed for trouble. Those other people are in part just plain
lucky (see above).

Jason, my father has amassed quite a bit of towing-related data, both
generic and directly related to his Durango (including a
very...interesting formula to relate tow vehicle wheelbase to
recommended trailer length). I'll send you his email address privately.
  Please feel free to ask him questions.

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/ --- andylevy@yahoo.com -------------------------------------------- modesty, n.: Being comfortable that others will discover your greatness --------------------------------------------