RE: #24 FMS Injectors

From: Bob Mankin (bob@coralfarms.com)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 10:38:21 EST

Tim, here's an attempt to better explain the problem:

  2500 2700 2900

   S1 S2 S3
   | | |
   | | |
   V V V
        ^ ^
        | |
        | |
        M1 M2

       2600 3000

Let's hope this carries through the email formatting. This is to show the
granularity problem of the stock map versus the mod points of your SAFC.
Let's say that your stock map value at S1 is 3% off the mark in trying to
achieve proper A/F on your brand new 408. Let's also assume that at point S2
you are 8% off on the rich side, then 12% off at the point S3. The top most
and bottom most are the rpm point at which values change on the stock
mapping(top) and bottom correction by the SAFC(bottom)

S1 = stock fuel setting at 2500 rpm, 3% lean
S2 = stock fuel setting at 2700 rpm, 8% rich
S3 = stock fuel setting at 2900 rpm, 12% rich

M1 = fuel trim in % modified at 2600 rpm by Apexi
M2 = fuel trim in % modified at 3000 rpm by Apexi

Now if Bernd wants to step in here and stick to the topic at hand rather
than deflecting the criticism of the box by talking about mysterious 11 sec
trucks and 10 sec Vipers, then maybe we can all actually learn something.

He appears to be the resident expert on this Apexi box, so please provide
the M1 and M2 values, as percentages since that is the way this box seems to
work, that will bring the values S1 thru S3 all down to zero. Keep in mind
that a 3% miss from your target can result in A/F readings that are .5 off
the mark. Dunno what you consider acceptable or "tuned", but that would be
less than desirable in my book.

This is a hypthetical scenario, but nonetheless a scenario that very
accurately illustrates the problem of mismatch between the Apexi box and the
stock maps. If anything the hypothetical values I've given(and the resulting
difficulty of the tuning problem) may be on the CONSERVATIVE side for anyone
attempting to tune for a 408, as you soon will be Tim.

And just to clear the record, Bernd you're about 10 months behind on current
events if you think I'm using a tuning box of any type and a few behind if
you're vaguely referring to Scott using a S/S box on his 11 sec truck.

Bob