Re: RE: TB Mod Problems: DTC P0121 and DTC P0133 (long)

From: John Bell (john_bell_2@hushmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 08:53:44 EDT

Bernd, thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.

I can tell you that the bore where the TB plates sit is stock - he did not
remove the
shafts and butterflies when he milled the TB, because he had trouble working
out
the shaft screws that hold the plates in place (he couldn't back them out).

What he -did- do was bore it up to a point (about 10mm) -above- where the
butterflies sit, leaving it at stock bore the rest of the way down. There is
no visible
gap between the throttle plates and the TB housing.

Since that part is "stock" (ha ha), I am guessing that the culprit is more
likely that
the TPS, IAC, and/or throttle linkage itself was not put back together
correctly.
What I need is someone who is a mechanic and knows what they're doing (in
other words, not me -or- the machinist ;-) ) to take a look at it and see
what needs
to be fixed.

This is work I would definitely be willing to pay for. In fact, I wouldn't
mind sending
the work your way if you are willing to do it. If it sounds like something
you have the
time/inclination to do, send an e-mail my way at:

john_bell_2@hushmail.com

We can work out terms & rates through that channel.

Thanks again,

--
John Bell
'00 QC SLT+ 4x4 5.9 46RE NV242 *** please help my baby ;-) ***

""Bernd D. Ratsch"" <bernd@texas.net> wrote in message news:001501c33b0e$f1803cc0$030aa8c0@homenet.com... > > John, > > Take the TB off of the truck and, with the blades closed, see how much > light is coming through the blade edges (blades closed). If there is a > very noticeable amount, you can first try to readjust the throttle blade > stop screw (may have to remove the cap - linkage side of TB on top > corner)...if that doesn't work, bore size was made too big for factory > blades (unless he changed the blades to match the new bore size). If > there is too much air going past the blades, idle will be affected as > well as normal cruising - vacuum leak - too lean and IAC closes > completely in an attempt to compensate. > > Definitely check the TPS and IAC first though...they can cause these > problems as well. > > - Bernd > > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net > [mailto:owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net] On Behalf Of John Bell > Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 9:38 PM > To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net > Subject: DML: TB Mod Problems: DTC P0121 and DTC P0133 (long) > > > > OK folks, I could really use your help on this one... > > I got my truck back from the machinist. He was able to tap out the > offending broken S-Bolt stub (see the "T*man's Curse LIVES" thread for > the gory details). Unfortunately, the guy who did the work is not, I > repeat, -not- a mechanic. It's fairly obvious that he wasn't able to > bolt everything together properly once he had finished up his work. > While he had the TB off, I told him to go ahead and mill the TB > according to the various instructions and pictures provided on the DML > web site. According to the Mark I Eyeball, the milling was done to my > satisfaction. > > Here is what I did when I picked up the truck: > > - Pulled the negative battery cable and reset the PCM (held the key in > START for about 20 seconds, which cleared the Check Engine light I got > when I first tried to start it > up) > > - Once I did that, the Check Engine light cleared, but idle would bounce > around between 1400-1600 rpm (as opposed to the stock 650 rpm I normally > had) > > - Once I started driving, the Check Engine light would come on again > after going a few miles. > > Symptoms: > > - Idle between 1400-1600 rpm > - Failed to shift into O/D while driving > - What felt like a "fuel cut off" at 4500 rpm when revving the engine in > park > > I have two methods of pulling DTCs. The first is with my Hypertech Power > Programmer III. When I used it, it returned a DTC code of P0121 (TPS > signal does not correlate to MAP signal). > > The second method is with my CarChip. In the trip log / vehicle trouble > log summary, it showed that a DTC of P0133 is being consistently > generated on the test trips I took while debugging. DTC P0133 is "O2 > sensor 1/1 response slower than minimum required switching frequency". > > It is my understanding that DTC P0121 will -not- activate the Check > Engine light, but that DTC P0133 > -will- activate it. Please correct me if I am mistaken. > > If I was going to take a guess, I would guess that the guy who did the > machining work did not put the TPS back on the TB correctly when he > reinstalled it. I found out that the IAS is the piece that is in charge > of idle and O/D shifting according to the list archives, however. > Needless to say, there are multiple places where things could be > failing: > > - TPS misinstall/malfunction > - IAS " " > - Throttle linkage " " > - Damaged MAP sensor > - Possible TB gasket and/or vaccuum leak (he -did- use a fresh TB > gasket, which I provided) > > The TPS was modded in the past (bore out the brass inserts mod) - this > was noticed by the machinist when he took apart the TB setup in order to > get it to the bench. I had Bernd do this back when I took my truck to > Speedtweaks for the "power tuneup" (which worked beautifully). > > I hope I've given enough info for the Big Dogs on the list to make > suggestions. Any help in getting this fixed is *greatly* appreciated! > Any tips on some *** good *** mechanics in the Austin TX area who > explicitly work on Dodges would also be greatly appreciated (man, I > -really- miss Bernd and Speedtweaks, that would be ideal). Barring that, > any tips on dealers in the Austin TX area who can be trusted to fix this > without recommending a complete overhaul to stock would also be nice. > > Thanks much, > -- > John Bell > '00 QC SLT+ 4x4 5.9 46RE NV242 *** Check Engine Light Mod *** > >