Help! Dead Dakota

From: Ron (menoldre@adelphia.net)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2003 - 23:11:26 EDT

Went to go see the fireworks tonight and thought that we would sit in the
bed of the truck in the crowded parking lot. Got into the truck and it
didn't start.

Some history.

Just bought the truck about a month ago.

1995
V6
CC Sport
147000 miles
Automatic

I changed the oil last week. 10W30 Valvoline High Milage. Previous dip
stick read overfilled. Now reads correct.
I changed the air filter last month.
I change the spark plugs, Bosch Platinum (type written down in book in
truck) gapped at 0.035 in. Old plugs were white where they would normally
be metal colored (electrode). This was the week before the oil change.

Since I have bought it is idles a bit rough, around 500 rpm. Never a
problem though, more loping, like "i think i can, i think i can).
Changing the spark plugs did not affect the idle. Today when coming back
from a trip to town I was going ~25 mph, hit the gas and nothing. The truck
had stalled. I plopped it in Neutral turned the key and it came right back.
Lasted all the way home (~4 miles)

This evening, family packed in the truck, key turns, starter engages, engine
rotates, but zero combustion. My guess is no gas or no spark. I will be
checking in the morning. Problem is, rather new at this an need some advice
on how to go about this.

Oh, the gas gage has never worked very well, it bounces in 1/4 to 1/2 tank
swings, but I get about 17 mpg. The tripometer reads 148 miles which makes
about 8.7 gallons out of a 15 gallon tank, so I should have about 6.3
gallons left in the tank. The gage reads 1/4 tank.

I have put three tanks of gas in it since I bought it. (that is 3 times I
have put ~6 gallons in it when at 1/2 a tank.

Okay, here are some things that come to mind.

1) bad gas, water in gas.
solution, try that stuff at the auto store that binds with water and makes
it combust.

2) bad distributor cap
solution get new distributor cap

3) bad rotor
solution get new rotor

4) bad spark plug wires (but wouldn't it just miss on one instead of not
firing any)?
solution get new wires

4) clogged fuel filter
solution (yuck) drop gas tank, change filter (that is where it is right?)

5) bad fuel pump
solution (yuck) drop gas tank, replace pump

Okay, I know that there are ways to check these, but can someone point me in
the right direction as to how to check. I have the Haynes manual, no FSM,
(Yeah I know, get an FSM :)

Any help would be good. My wife is starting to making fun of me for buying
this thing.

Thanks in advance,
Ron M
95 CC V6 Sport