From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Sun Oct 19 2003 - 01:48:22 EDT

Had to haul a water heater today in the bed of the truck. Is there a
"proper" place to load something like that?

I put it in the center of the bed side to side, right up against the cab
end. Put 2 cargo straps around it, one going across the front of the
box and back to the rear tiedowns, the other going across the back of
the box and hooked to the front tiedowns. Then another strap over top
to provide some stability. Seemed to be OK there.

And now for the story: I was helping friends (married couple) move
today. We discovered the water heater was in less than working order,
so while the husband hauled the trailer back to the apartment from the
house, his father (owns a '93 CC 2WD w/ cap) and I went to Home Depot to
get a water heater. We got the box down off the rack and real big on
the side it said "DO NOT LAY THIS BOX ON ITS SIDE. Only transport
vertically." It's a natural gas heater and I guess the burner can come
apart when the unit is on its side - since it's a more or less sealed
system, you're hosed once that happens. The water heater is obviously
too tall to fit under a cap (which was originally the plan - I leave my
truck at the house and just hitch a ride). Pulled the tonneau off my
truck in under 5 minutes, loaded up, strapped down and away we go!

And that, my friends, is why I will take a soft tonneau over anything
else any day of the week (but especially Saturday & Sunday).

--
-andy

http://home.twcny.rr.com/andylevy/dakota - andy-dml@levyclan.us -------------------------------------------- "Whatever Adam does, do the opposite and you'll be fine" -Bob Tom --------------------------------------------