Insurance Question After Accident

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 19:01:35 EDT

First I want to thank everyone for the well-wishes. My family and I
appreciate them :-) I'm almost back to normal but my mother and
especially my grandmother - will take longer to recover. Despite this
spirits are pretty good.

I snapped stills from video I took of the Ram and the remains of the
Explorer. They can be seen at the following URLs:

http://home.earthlink.net/~silvereightynine/ford/

The local Ford dealer says the repairs will cost over $8000 and we will
"never know it was in an accident"

I find this hard to believe considering there are strong indicators that
the entire body of the Explorer has sustaned damage. This is based upon
my observations that the rear hatch and passenger-side doors are
seriously misaligned... indicating that the body structure has been
pretty well deformed. The floor of the SUV is also seriously buckled.

State Farm says that they will only total the truck if the cost of
repair is 70% or greater. The amount of $8000+ seems low to me as a
figure that will enclude repairing EVERYTHING that is wrong with it.
(dash, windsheild, doors, all new front suspension, nerfbar, fender,
hood, floor, A-pillar... plus there are scrapes in the body that will
need to be filled - and an all new paint job? Sounds to me like the
dealer isn't going to be able to fix everything for just over eight grand.

That truck will never be right - no matter how good they say they can
repair it. I don't want to get stuck with a half-ass POS repair job
because State Farm took the cheaper route. Can the insurance company
FORCE us to take the call of repair VS total?

That truck will never be right - no matter how good they say they can
repair it. I don't want to get stuck with a half-ass POS repair job
because State Farm took the cheaper route. Do we have any options?

"Take me to the river, drop me in the water..." - Talking Heads

'89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x2 -- '89 Silver Dakota RC, V6, 4x4 '01 Graphite Ram Offroad Sport, RC, 360 V8, Auto, Short Box! 4x4

http://home.earthlink.net/~silvereightynine/ http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/LkxxVw49jp7dU/