Re: RE: Follow-up to: Vibration in Chassis

From: Dale Schultz (d.schultz@sympatico_NOSPAM_.ca)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 20:56:52 EST

Hi:
I'm pretty sure I have worn pinion bearings. I put a dial gauge on the
pinion yoke and pushed the shaft up and down and measured 10 thou of
movement. I can also "see" movement when I push/pull the pinion yoke in
and out of the diff housing. Considering the shaft is carried by taper
bearings and there is a pre-load on them, I expect NO movement at all.

I'm taking the drive shaft in to have the balance checked, then I'll
pull the diff cover off and look to see if there's any metal bits in it.

If it looks clean I'll just replace all the bearings and re-shim it myself.

As for the pulling bikes thing, the truck does have an electric brake
kit on it so the trailer must have been fairly big. Enclosed trailer
with bikes, spare parts, tools and weekend camping gear is probably
pretty heavy. This info came from the previous owner.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Dale