The saga continues...was GenII Alternator Question

From: brett4hand@hotmail.com
Date: Sat Nov 22 2003 - 18:25:27 EST

Hey gang,
here's the latest. On TonyC's recommendation, I pulled my alternator to be
tested out of the vehicle. Tony said the PCM has the voltage regulator in it,
and if that is bad can cause a false reading showing the alternator to be
faulty. So, checked the alternator out at NAPA, and sure enough, they said it
was good. Matter of fact, it showed to be charging at 15.5 volts, which they
said was very good. Brushes/bearings "sounded good, too.

Well, trip number two was to check the battery. Battery is fine, excellent
under load, except they said it could use a charge. Soooo, we think it might
be the PCM.

Here's my syptoms: This doesn't happen EVERY time I drive, but when it acts
up, the Ammeter gauge runs low at idle, charging power increases with rpm's.
Coming to a stop, with foot off the gas and on the brake, as rpm's drop, the
ammeter gauge drops all the way down to zero, and the engine will shut off.
Stop the vehicle, put it in park, turn the key, engine starts and runs. Oh
yeah, it was doing this about two to three days before I got rear-ended, so
it's not related to that. Checked the grounds in the engine compartment also,
and they all appear to be solid/clean.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,
Brett Forehand