Towing question...

From: Mallett, Donald B (Donald.Mallett@BNSF.com)
Date: Sat Mar 13 2004 - 03:04:24 EST

Cindy and I are starting to look at travel trailers. Looking at the tow
rating of my 2000 QC, It shows to be able to pull 4900 lbs.* with the 3.55
rear gearing and 6100 lbs*. with the 4.10 gears. Why such a big difference
in towing ability just by the gearing?

What would it set me back to have the rear gears changed to the 4.10 from
3.55? I think I would be better off not doing this work myself. Would going
to the 4.10 decrease the mpg in everyday driving also?

* I'm at work and these numbers are off the top of my head but close to the
right weights. Full specs for my truck is on my website.

--
Don Mallett