alloy rim and spare winch?

From: jherrman@suscom-maine.net
Date: Sun Mar 14 2004 - 11:29:55 EST

I'm having a quality weekend with my truck: changing all the fluids
and checking up on everything after the winter in preparation for a
long road trip starting tomorrow.

I've discovered a small leak in one of my stock Goodyear (p265)
tires. When I checked the pressure yesterday it was very low
(20psi). I filled it up to 42, and it's down to 35 this morning. I'll
put the spare on in its place and see if the local tire guy can do
anything for it tomorrow morning before I leave. If not, I'll probably
try one of those fix-a-flat cans, unless there's some reason why I
shouldn't. I'm planning on using that tire as my spare for the trip; I
have one of those 12 volt air compressors, and I could fill it full
enough to get somewhere in an emergency.

So here's my question: is there any way to store the tire with the
alloy rim (sport package with tire and handling option) in the spare
tire winch? I have a 2003, so the spare has a steel rim with a center
hole for the winch, but the alloy rim has no center hole. Is it ok to
put the winch through one of the openings around the perimeter of the
rim and hoist it off center?

Thanks for any advice.

Jud Herrman