Re: Re: Re: help me start my truck

From: werlax@hotmail.com
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 09:39:44 EDT

"Josh Battles" wrote:
> <werlax@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> The new rockers I installed can be seen moving when I take the oil
>> filler cap off the valve cover (modified valve covers).
>
> Are you sure you adjusted the rockers correctly?

I followed the instructions in my Haynes. Find TDC for the engine. I
verified it was at TDC by, obviously, checking the plate near the crank
pulley and also by removing the distributer cap and checking that the rotor
was pointing at the #1 plug. After moving to TDC, the manual states that I
only have to torque the rockers down to 21 ft-lbs. Obviously, this
compressed the springs a bit, and I also verified that the pushrods were in
their seat on the rocker arm.
When I talked to KRC Performance, he stated I'd have to move the engine for
each rocker, which I didn't do. I might have to give him a call today and
see if he has any ideas.

>> The thing that concerns me is that even after cranking numerous
>> times I don't smell any gas. Shouldn't I?
>> It seems I have gas (or at least I supplied it), I have spark, and I
>> have air. What else is there? Is this a sensor problem of some
>> kind?
>
> If you crank it over for a good amount of time, most likely you'd
> smell fuel. Since you had the intake manifold off the truck, check
> the electrical connections for the injectors, you might have
> forgotten to plug something in.

I'll have to see about a fuel pressure gauge. I checked all the injectors
along with all the other connections I could find. I had labeled everything
with masking tape so I was sure not to miss anything. As far as I can tell,
I have it all connected.
The only thing I'm not sure about is that I found a hose that comes up along
the firewall that isn't connected. It was full of all kinds of tape. I
believe it was this way from the factory since I've never taped any hoses
up. I'm assuming this is some sort of extra connection? I can't follow
where it goes but it seems to head down towards the top of the tranny, or
maybe the exhaust. Maybe an EGR remnant? I don't have EGR on my '97.

> I guess the best I can say is to go over every electrical connection
> that you made, check for blown fuses (maybe fuel pump), and see what
> you get. Hopefully it's just a loose connection or something. Good
> luck!

I had removed the fuel pump relay to depressurize the fuel system, but it's
back in now. I can hear the pump energize when I turn the key to the ON
position.

Thanks,
Mark