Re: ball joint recall?

From: Eric Huff (mopar@ehuffy.com)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 22:21:16 EDT

> When I stop, accelerate, or take a sharp turn and straighten the
> wheel i feel some sort of "bumb" in the steering wheel and a bit
> in the break pedal (in the case of stopping, or turning). I have
> also noticed that recently when I go over speed bumps or just road
> debris that I am getting a similar feeling, like someting is
> hitting the steering column, or loose in the front end somewhere.
>
> I don't think it's the bearings, or tie-rods. I've jacked each
> side up and wiggled each front wheel and they both seem quite
> solid.
>
> I have a 2000 dakota slt 4.7L
>
> Sorry if this is a really crappy explanation. I just dread taking
> the truck to the dealer. Any ideas would be great.

Is that 2wd or 4wd?

And related to another answer: what is the "intermediate steering
shaft" ? I couldn't find it in the FSM.

I have a similar bump on mine:

Usually it happens when i am turning into a parking space and
braking. Sometimes just when i am driving and i do think it is
usually when i am straightening out.

Not sure if i feel it in the brakes or not. I do feel it through
the floor. It's not a big thump (i am the only one that notices
it...)

I had the upper control arm replaced recently (bushings were
cracking up) but there hasn't been a noticeable change.

Thanks,
eric

--
1974 Valiant 4-door, 318