Re: Highway stalling... OMGWTFBBQ

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 03:33:39 EDT

Michael Maskalans wrote:
>> Are those the deep cycle ones? I was thinking about just going with a
>> regular old DieHard Silver...I've run them in the past with no issues,
>> they're nice batteries and I've got a friend who works at Sears.
>>

> redtop is a starting battery, yellowtop is deep cycle and bluetop is
> marine IIRC.
>
> I've run my redtop flat dead with my dome light twice, and a few more
> times low enough for my radio to cut out. Seems not to have affected it
> at all, but I've heard otherwise from others. It seems that generally
> if they get cranky after being run dead they can be rejuvinated to full
> capacity by trickle charging. One of the 4 wheel mags had an article on
> that in the last year (since that's *so* helpful to you, I know).

The Optimas aren't as picky about dying as normal batteries.

The battery in my boat died a couple of times when I left various
accessories turned on. It stopped holding a charge properly shortly
after the second time. I replaced it with an optima (blue top, which is
supposedly a combination starting/deep cycle battery -- which is also
what the stock battery said it was) and killed it a couple of times and
it recovered just fine.

I've never drained the battery in my truck completely, so I'm not sure
how the red top would handle that. What's nice about the blue top is
that it has the "best of both worlds"

-Bill