Re: Feds Urge Dodge to Make Recall for Ball Joints

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Sat Dec 11 2004 - 23:35:08 EST

Bernd D. Ratsch wrote:
> And Ford, GM, and most of the other automotive companies don't have
> problems?

Hahahahahahahaha. Of course they have problems too. This just isn't
going to be helpful for Chrysler skeptics, particularly considering the
fact that Chrysler has been trying to push the idea that their quality
has improved dramatically in recent years.

> Remember, Mistibishi withheld information on problems with their vehicles
> for years. Courts got the best of them for that - happened recently.

In a world where companies are also cooking the books, that isn't really
much of a surprise. When they think they're screwed either way, might
as well try the way where the might not get screwed (at least not right
away).

> On the balljoints (or other products used within the DC line of
> vehicles)...i've seen plenty of screw-ups from one vendor line and then the
> product superseded to a new part number - new vendor or updated product
> (problems gone). It happens, unfortunately for vehicle manufacturers...it's
> on a very large scale.

Naturally, that's one of the downsides of producing things on such a
huge scale. When there's a problem, it's a lot more likely to effect a
greater number of un1its.

Honestly, I'm just happy that they've admitted that there is a problem
and it's going to get corrected. I think they should have done this a
lot sooner -- seeing a Durango where the wheel fell off on CBS news
could not have possibly been viewed as good publicity in any way -- but
I'm still glad that they're doing it at all. Part of having good
customer service and keeping customers happy is admitting it when there
has been a problem and then correcting that problem.

-Bill