Re: 2006 National Meet in Colorado

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 12:47:53 EDT

On Thu, May 5, 2005 12:25 am, jon@dakota-truck.net said:

> One idea consisted of a "scenic drive", which would involve all
> paved roads or well graded dirt roads; in any case, roads which
> a 2wd wouldn't have a problem with. We thought about possibly
> doing this early in the meet (Sunday or Monday?) Obviously, this
> would be good for the non-offroaders since they'll be able to
> drive their daks with the group. If we did this, perhaps Pike's
> Peak could be a part of that "loop".

That's a good idea. Pike's Peak is a toll road. From what I understand,
it's a well maintained gravel surface suitable for travel by any passenger
car (as long as you don't mind a little dust or risk of rock chips that
goes with any dirt road). It would be a cool place to get a group photo
of as many Dakotas as we can get up there.

> The next level up from that
> is mild 4x4 trails (I'll defer to Jason on this, but I suspect
> these would probably still be OK for a stock height 2wd?),

I've been reading through some trail guide books that I bought. Several
of the easier trails are described as suitable for any passenger car in
dry weather. So I'm sure we can find places for stock height 2wd Dakotas.

> then
> moderate 4x4 trails (definitely want to be in a 4x4 now) and
> finally difficult 4x4 trails (i.e. Adam, Mike, Tom, Walt...) ;-)

I've been making notes of some of the difficult trails. I started marking
them as "WAM" trails, for Walt, Adam and Mike :-). I can't think of any
way to work a T in there, but oh well. Anyway, there are a few that
connect with easy/moderate trails, or run parallel to them. So we can all
go out as a group, the hard-core guys can go have their fun, and those of
us not interested in breaking things can still have a good drive.

> Anyway, after reading Josh's post I thought this might be a
> good spot to throw this idea out there and see how many people
> would be interested in this sort of "non-offroading" scenic drive?

I think it would be a good introduction to the area for the first day or
so after we get there. It would give people more of an idea what to
expect, and it wouldn't be physically strenuous so we'd have a chance to
adjust to the high elevation.