Re: DML BBQ Paintball

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 16:19:52 EDT

Bill Day <billday@otecom.net> wrote:

: We played one once at a family reunion kinda like the quake mod TF with border.
: You have border agents on one team, armed thugs on the other helping weaponless
: civilians "cross the border". Quite tiresome for the civilians as they run a
: lot, but fun if you rotate and everybody becomes a moving target once in a
: while.

   Yeah, that could work! I wasn't exactly sure how to work the
"non-combatants" into the mix. Your idea sort've sparked another
possibility in my brain - maybe put together "teams" of people where
there are only 1 or 2 "guns" in the group for protection, but there
are other tasks that need to be accomplished. Maybe some heavy duty
navigation or some problem solving, or each person might have a
specialization. Obviously I haven't thought this out in detail, but
perhaps something where a team has to go out to locate, disarm and
retrieve a nuclear bomb or biohazard device. Somebody is responsible
for navigation, only one person on the team is capable of "disarming"
the device (or perhaps for each task there can be a backup person, but
points are deducted if the primary person doesn't do the task?), etc...
For example, maybe the game would be decided via points where there
are a certain number of points to be gained for each task, like
disarming the bomb is 100 points, but if your primary bomb technician
was shot and the backup guy had to do it, disarming the bomb would only
get you 50 points. (Speaking of disarming the bomb, it could be just
as simple as having a bomb technician with the team when the bomb is
found would be considered disarming the bomb, or if I were feeling
really ambitious, I could put together some "bombs" using a
microcontroller where it could be set to a certain time and count down,
the team would have to find it prior to that time. Also, possibly
disarming the bomb would involve entering the correct code on a keypad,
or actually snipping wires in a certain order in order to prevent having
the bomb "detonate". This could potentially involve additional
intelligence/problem solving such as a task which would be required to
be accomplished in order to determine the proper disarm code or the
proper order in which to cut the wires.)

   One catch to this is that there needs to be an enemy counterpart to
these teams, so perhaps have individuals or other teams roaming the
woods looking for these teams to stop them from getting to the bomb.
We'd have to be careful about that part though, we don't want it to be
too easy for the enemy to be able to find and constantly harrass the
team. Another thought - the enemy could have non-armed combatants also
- people could be used as scouts to try to find the teams; they wouldn't
be armed themselves, but could use an FRS radio to (quietly!) call in the
snipers once they've spotted the team, then they would be responsible
for tracking the team and keeping the incoming bad guys updated as to
their position. Obviously, the gunners for the "good guys" are going
to want to take out these scouts as well as the bad guys with the guns.
Shooting a scout means that person can no longer relay updates and has
to head back to DML HQ. (Although if you do find and shoot a scout,
unless you caught them completely by surprise, you can probably expect
that they have called in your position and the heat is on its way to
your current position.) :-) As far as the "good guy" teams themselves,
if one of the people on the protection detail (armed combatant) gets
shot, one of the other team members will have to pick up the gun and
take over that position. (Again, perhaps with points deducted because
that is not their primary function?)

   I was a bit worried that there wouldn't be enough guns available for a
good paintball game, but I think we should be able to come up with some
ideas like this which would involve people without guns and make it fun for
everybody. (Like Don suggested, we could rotate so everybody got a chance
to shoot.)

   Anybody else have any opinions/ideas in this regard? Or is this a
dorky idea and you'd rather just have a normal paintball game? :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'