Re: Motel, cabin or tent?

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 16:20:54 EDT

On Wed, May 11, 2005 9:55 am, Andy Levy said:

> Or, if you need less ugly & more practical, Golf or Jetta TDI. Not
> quite 60 MPG, but still at least 50% better than my Acclaim and a good
> 100% (or more) better than the Dak.

Unfortunately, VW puts a real price premium on those. If you're on a
quest to save every penny, the Smart car runs about $14k brand spankin'
new. You'd be hard pressed to find a TDI newer than about 3 years old for
that, at least from the listings I've seen up here. Maybe the demand is
just higher on this side of the border due to $3.25 / gallon gasoline.

Of course, I'd never drive a Smart car on the freeway. It would make a
fine commuter for someone who lived and worked in downtown Toronto and had
a real car in the family to use for excursions out of the city. There's
someone at work who has one, I've taken a good look at it out in the
parking lot. It's essentially a plastic golf cart. You could glue two of
them together and still only have a small car.