Re: Compression Fittings On Brake Lines

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 14:09:02 EDT

On Thu, May 12, 2005 1:08 pm, TerribleTom said:

> I feel I did the right thing - but I thought I would get some other
> opinions from the rest of the List.

I don't know anything about brake lines or compression fittings, so keep
in mind that what I have to say is all generalized.

I've gone in to parts stores with weird requests before, and always been
annoyed when the guy behind the counter tried to quiz me on what I was
doing. It would take too long to explain, so just sell me the parts. In
my case it's usually computer parts for two or three different computers
I'm working on, in which case they always give me hassles because the
stuff I'm buying won't all work together. The problem is that they're
only seeing 10% of the picture, but the same principle applies.

I understand your concerns, if he was really trying to do something unsafe
with actual brake lines then I can see why you wouldn't want to sell the
stuff to him. Even if you're not legally liable for something some
wingnut does with parts you sold him, there's the question of parts
failures being on your conscience. But if he was trying to make a
refridgerator or something, you'd have to figure he knows exactly what he
wants, and he's probably just not wanting to share details.

I do usually appreciate advice from the employees at the store.
Personally, in your situation I would have said "okay, sir, I want you to
understand that using these fittings on a brake line is really dangerous
and stupid, and if you do that, you do it at your own risk. But I'll sell
them to you if that's what you really want to do."

There's always the question of whether you could have prevented him from
crashing if he does have a crash caused by the parts you sold him. But
you can't take responsibility for someone else's actions. Besides, if he
doesn't get the stuff from you, he'll probably just go online and order
low-quality junk from China and go ahead and use it anyway.

I get what you did, but I would say that it's not your job to save people
from themselves. Make sure he understands that what he's describing is
not a good idea, but in the end if he insists then it's his choice.

Just my own opinion.