Re: Hotchkis Kit and Tire Rub Questions

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Fri Sep 16 2005 - 09:19:51 EDT

Robert Schultz said:

> I've got the Hotchkis kit in on a 00 QC running R/T rims and 275.55.17
> tires.

Those probably look like monster truck tires! I'm going to be running a
275/40 on the R/T wheels I've got because I'll need the clearance to avoid
rubbing. Why not move to a shorter tire in the front?

> Obviously this is a recipe for some tire rub especially when the profile
> of the bump drops the entire front of the truck at speed. The only
> recommendations to correct this seem to be to roll the fender.
>
> But as far as I can see, you can't roll the fender lip as it's welded to
> the inner fender well. There's just nothing to bend over.

You can indeed roll the fenders on a Dakota. It's slightly different than a
traditional roll though. What I did was take the outer fender skin and bend
it up so that it touches the wheelwell on the inside. This yielded about a
30 or 40 degree bend in the fender lip so that it sits flush. Be sure to
heat up the area you're going to bend with a heat gun first as to [hopefully]
avoid breaking the paint.

> I did have the alignment done, but when the shop looked at the numbers
> from Hotchkis they said "No way" that it would not drive well using
> their performance street setup. Comments?

My alignment specs are way more agressive than the Hotchkis specs and I don't
have any issues whatsoever. I believe Jayson Woodruff runs even more
agressive alignment specs than me and he daily drove his truck for a long
time like that.

> 1. Narrower tires? Not likely!

Try shorter tires. 275/40 should put you right where you need to be.

> 3. Live with it? What are the risks with this? The tires seem to be
> flexing the fender a bit when they hit.

If you live with it, stuff like this can happen to you.
http://omg-stfu.com/temp/ohnoes.jpg

This is the main reason I went from a 245/70 to a 255/60. The 255/60 is much
shorter and gave me all the clearance I needed. (this is on a 15" wheel)

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com