Re: RE: Installing an oil pressure gauge and fuel pressure gauge...

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 22:23:14 EST

Dan Kramarsky <dkramarsky68@yahoo.com> wrote:

: What's the thread size for the schrader valves?

    Its a weird one. .305-32. (.305" diameter, 32 threads per inch)
When I was looking for one for my fuel rail it was a major hassle;
couldn't find them anywhere. Bill Tierney finally found one for me
at a truck supply place local to him that carried all sorts of weird
stuff. This apparently isn't a very common thing to do, since there
seems to be so little out there in the way of these adapters.

    Today, I sent an e-mail to McMaster-Carr and they said that they
can't supply them, which isn't a good sign. (If they don't know where
to find them, this is certainly an uphill battle...) I have an e-mail
in to MSC, but I'm not expecting much. Does anybody else know of any
other industrial supply places that might have something like this?

   Another possibility might be someplace that deals in air conditioning.
The R12 and R134a high and low side pressure ports are Schrader valves,
but I believe they are a different thread than the valve stem style.

    I've been looking for a source for these things for several hours
now; this is getting annoying. Now I'm invested. ;-) I found some
posts in the DML archives from a little over 2 years ago on the same
subject. I'd like to get this figured out once and for all! These
stupid things are out there somewhere, and somebody makes them,
the trick is to find a reliable source. If anybody has any info about
this, please let me know, so that it can go in the FAQ or at the very
least, will be in the archives.

   Ray B, if you're reading this, you had answered that thread by
saying that Jegs and Summit had gauges that will work even though
they are supposed to be for Chevy.
(http://archives.dakota-truck.net/0307/0615.html)

   However, from the research I have been doing so far, it seems like
Chevy's Schrader valve is not a .305-32 "tire valve stem" style thread,
but -4AN (7/16-24 female flare). Do you have any other info about this?
Related to this, here is a page describing an Actron fuel pressure
tester: http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16173 It lists
the Chrysler and GM test port adapter as being the same, although it
does list a GM TBI adapter separately. Perhaps it is the TBI adapter
which is the one that is -4AN?

   More on this... A few pages saying that the GM test port is -4AN,
and a some pics showing its location:

   http://tinyurl.com/b9yfv
   http://www.f-body.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12327
   http://shbox.com/1/fp_reg.jpg

  This part at Grainger was referenced on a web site as being the same
as the test port on a TPI GM: http://tinyurl.com/9kb2p

   I went to actron.com and looked at high res pictures of their fuel
test kits and also looked at the PDF product manuals. Their adapter
for GM and Chrysler is the same. So it would appear that the GM
connector and the Chrysler connector is the same, but... the -4AN
fitting doesn't look very much like a "tire valve" style Schrader
valve, *and* a flare or AN style fitting seals on the 37 degree
face, not on the threads like a Schrader valve does, *and* a 4AN
adapter would have 7/16-24 threads which is nowhere near the size of
a standard Schrader valve (.305-20)!!! I'm more confused than ever. :-P

   Bob Tom, you also replied to that thread saying you thought you might
have used a part from an inline fuel filter from a Dodge application of
some type. (http://archives.dakota-truck.net/0307/0622.html) Do you
think there is any chance David might recall what he used? :-)

  Here is a link to a manufacturer's site in the UK which has a few
items listed on this page which are "sort of" what we're looking for.
The concept of screwing onto the Schrader valve, anyway...
    http://www.schrader-valves.co.uk/connectorsnav.htm

   Anyhoo, like I said, this has annoyed me enough to where I would
really like to resolve this. I'll keep looking, and if anyone has
any info, ideas, etc. please do let me know so that I can start sleeping
at night. ;-)

: Do I remove the little brass pin in the schrader valve? Like with needle nose pliers?
: or forceps?

   Yes; unless you find a fitting that automatically depresses the pin (like a
tire chuck would do), you will need to remove it. You could probably do it with
a pair of needle nose pliers, but the easiest way is to use a valve stem remover,
also known as a tire repair tool. They are really cheap, usually a buck or less,
and you should be able to find them just about anywhere; auto parts store,
bicycle store, even Wal-Mart. They look like this:

http://www.autotechnicalsolutions.com/productimages/mpqr/mIL-S-445.jpg

: Does anyone remember whats the size of plastic tubing that is used with the fuel gauges?
: is it 1/8" nylon tubing?

   I'm not sure about that one unfortunately, since I've never installed a
mechanical fuel pressure gauge. It is likely either 1/8 or 1/4. IIRC, the
vacuum gauge that I installed came with a couple of different fittings to
be able to use a couple of different tube sizes; the same might be the case
for the fuel pressure gauges.

--
                                          -Jon-

.- Jon Steiger --- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -. | 67 Dodge Coronet, 70 Plymouth Barracuda, 76 Peugeot TSA | | 78 Dodge B100, 90 Dodge Dakota Convertible, 92 Dodge Ram 4x4 | | 96 Dodge Dakota, 96 Suzuki Intruder 1400, 96 Kolb FireFly | | 99 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD | `--------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com --'