Re: Maintenance Questions

From: Alberto Aguirre Jr (bluedoberman@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 20:17:42 EST

> 3. If I do need to remove the spring, is it a good
> idea to change the
> control arm bushings out while I am in there? How
> do I tell if the
> bushings are bad?

IMO, why not? For the amount of labor you may as well.
 I picked up the complete set (upper and lower driver
and passenger) of rubber bushings by MOOG from
Oreilly's for $45.00

> 5. How/Can I remove the shocks without taking the
> spring off?

Not exactly sure how, but my brother did me that
favor. I let him mess with it, ebing into lowriders,
he messes with suspension stuff ALL the time. I think
it just comes right out of the bottom. I believe
there is an FYI on it at www.dakota-truck.net

> 7. I have rear ABS. When changing the rear brake
> shoes, is there
> anything special I need to do, or buy?

I never done anything different. Just make sure the
rubber seals on the boot in the back (little
horizonotal cylinder) are intact. Mine werent this
last time.2

> 8. When changing the front brake pads, do I have to
> completely remove
> the caliper?

Yes....You have to push in the caliper with a C-Clamp
(what I use at least) all the way to fit the new
thicker pads in and put back on the rotor.

> I know this is a lot of info, but I have never done
> anything with the
> front end before and I don't want to waste a lot of
> time/money in doing
> this. Please submit the best and easiest methods if
> you can. Thanks
> for all the continued information gentlemen!
>
> Jamey

No prob, I have done my own front brakes like 5 times
in 8 years. Many sets of warped rotors. Good luck.
Oh and it goes faster with a buddy helping you. ;)

Alberto Aguirre Jr
Houston TX
1998 Dakota CC 5.2L V8 187,000 mi

.