Re: Re: ATTENTION ALL DML'ers!!

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Mon Apr 17 2006 - 13:57:41 EDT

In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0604171051340.1537-100000@uofr.net>,
dml@tepidcola.com (Michael Maskalans) writes:

> eh? you have other plans for the bed on the return trip or are you just
> weird? =)
>
> I can play shuffle too for you, most likely. I'll have some rims at
> least, likely with tires, to be bringing with me, but I expect to have
> plenty of bed room leftover.

No, I'm weird with that truck. I never put anything back there to keep it from
getting scratched. Virgin paint in the bed.

> that is the coolest, geekiest thing ever. I LOVE it.
>
> I also expect cell coverage to be weak, and not high speed. So we may
> still want to try to NAT the campground's connection for better
> performance while at base camp.

Yea, that is my concern also. I'm going to do some testing of the wireless
broadband connection over the next few weeks and see how well I can get it to
work. If I can, then our limitation would be cell coverage, which may be spotty
in some of those areas anyhow. I at least want to give it a try.

> > I also have a wireless streaming IP camera
> > that I want to see if I can get it to stream right from the cab of the
truck.

> That looks a lot more doable this way than the weather baloon wireless we
> were contemplating for the BBQ 2 years ago =)

I got the idea from one of the webcam sites, there was a cam a truck driver had
set up in the cab of his rig and he streams his trip between PA and VA, 3 times
a week. Other than a 20 or so mile dead spot on I-81 near the MD - WV border,
it looks like it worked pretty well for him. I'll see if I can find the URL
again.

> > Radio Shack has an DLP Projector with a built in DVD
> > player on sale right now.
>
> if it's the same one that I saw at Office Max I think it was a week or two
> ago it's a dim-ass pile of crap that doesn't do "DLP" justice. I think it
> was powered by a 100w incandecant bulb from the look of it. yuck!
>
> Just my humble opinion of course.... =)

Yea, I hear you. I saw it in the latest flyer that came in the mail. It's
currently on sale for $999 but I don't know anything about it. I'm going to go
down and see if I can get a look at one first hand. I was intrigued by the
thought of a projector with a built in DVD drive. I'm not going to buy it if
it looks like junk.

Walt
.
.