Re: Re: ATTENTION ALL DML'ers!!

From: Josh Battles (josh.lists@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2006 - 15:52:57 EDT

On Mon, April 17, 2006 9:11 am, Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com wrote:

> Since we'll
> be taking the Ram, I'll be limited to what I can fit in the backseat. Nothing
> goes in the bed of that truck

Why don't you use the bed of your Ram?

> A few thoughts I've been pondering:
>
> The Lawn Jenga set. It's heavy and takes up a lot of space. My thought was
> either dropping it at Jon's a few weeks early so you can take it out with
> you.
> or preferably, I recall we have someone on the list out that way, if by
> chance
> he has a chop or skil saw, we just buy 8 2x3s when we're out there and play
> drunken, flaming Jenga on the last evening. Saves us from having to lug it
> back
> and forth across country. What do you think?

What's the length necessary and how many pieces are required? I can use one
of the tablesaws at school to make a set in short order. I have no issues
using my truck bed to carry gear.

> The next idea, is major geek but, Did we ever come up with a consensus of how
> we were going to handle Internet access? I know Lone Duck has Wi-fi access.
> Was everyone just going to pay the extra money and get Wi-Fi through the
> campground? I've been experimenting with running a Linksys wireless G router
> on a cigarette lighter adapter. It actually wasn't all that hard, the Linksys
> was 12V so I just had to make up a cable to plug it into the lighter.
> Ingrid's
> nephew has been able to establish a network connection between two vehicles
> while traveling on the highway and he is working on a way to boost the radio
> power of the Linksys. He was showing me, yesterday, some amplifier chips he
> got from work that he says may be able to boost the linksys to about 20 watts
> output power. That combined with a mag mount, high gain antenna on the roof,
> we
> should be able to increase the range of the linksys quite a bit. We're going
> to give it a try soon. He's a big HAM nut and works part time for a radio
> communications company as a tech while he's in school. Now my thought is, if
> we can get this working like we want, I just got a Cingular Wireless
> broadband
> PC card for my laptop in the truck and the idea is to share out the
> connection
> and connect the Linksys WAN port to the on board RJ45 on the back of the
> laptop. Theory being, I should be able to set up an access point right in the
> truck that will also travel with us on our day trips (as long as I can get a
> wireless broadband connection). I also have a wireless streaming IP camera
> that I want to see if I can get it to stream right from the cab of the truck.
> That looks to be 5V so I'll have to work on a way to remotely power it
> without
> having to run 15 different lighter adapters to power everything. Hmmm..

If you've got the time on your hands, perhaps check out this solution. Jason
linked me to this quite some time ago and I thought it was really cool.

http://www.stompboxnetworks.com/

> Also, anyone who plans on bringing their camcorders, bring your RCA or
> S-Video
> connection cables and some blank DVDs as well. I have a Sony VDC-20 DVDirect
> burner that I will be bringing with me. We can burn any video source direct
> DVD while we're there and distribute. I'll have to look into my power
> options

Single layer or dual layer discs?

--
- Josh
www.omg-stfu.com

This message has been brought to you by the American Kneejerk Coalition for Equality, Compassion, and the Restoration of Karmic Unity of Self And Other Silly Hippy Happy-Swell Gayness Bullshit, or AKCECRKUSAOSHHSGB for short.

. . .------------------------------------------------------------------. | Make your plans NOW to attend the National DML Meet in Colorado! | | Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net | `------------------------------------------------------------------'