Re: Re: ATTENTION ALL DML'ers!!

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Tue Apr 18 2006 - 09:42:07 EDT

In article <48038.66.73.245.4.1145303577.squirrel@webmail.omg-stfu.com>,
josh.lists@omg-stfu.com ("Josh Battles") writes:

> Why don't you use the bed of your Ram?

That truck was never intended to be a daily driver or work truck. My original
intent with that truck, from the day I ordered it, was to build a show truck
with it. And while I haven't been able to do everything I've planned on
doing(as for mods), I do show the truck at a few shows a year and have taken a
number of trophies with it (including all three shows I put it in last year).
I don't use the bed, as I try to keep the paint in the best shape possible. I
once put a plastic wash bucket (filled with cleaning supplies) in there while
in Englishtown and just driving across town, the bucket slid around and put a
few small scratches towards the rear of the bed. Other than that, nothing has
ever been carried back there, I have the Dakota for when I need to move things.
My two Dakotas are my daily driver, work and beater trucks, but I'm not
bringing them.

I don't wheel the Ram, it's never been off-road, but I am willing to venture
off the beaten path a little when we are in CO. I'm not going to do anything
extreme and will avoid anything that will cause any damage. This will be the
first time that truck will be off-road. The only off-roading it's done is my
suck-ass driveway, which is only slightly better than washboard hill at Jon's

> If you've got the time on your hands, perhaps check out this solution. Jason
> linked me to this quite some time ago and I thought it was really cool.
>
> http://www.stompboxnetworks.com/

Yea, Ive been on that site and David and I were talking about it on Easter.
He's more into modding than I am, I just don't have the time. But he's sparked
my interest a little and we'll tinker from time to time, usually on Holidays
when the family gets together. It's our way of avoiding all the family drama.
He's been successful in customizing the Linix Kernel on his version 4 Linksys
WRT54G. I've been trying, but I haven't been successful yet myself. I've
already FUBARed one.

> Single layer or dual layer discs?

I've only tried the DVD-R single layer discs myself. According to the
documentation, it'll support DVD+R (single layer), DVD+R DL, DVD-R (single
layer), DVD+RW and DVD-RW. I bought the -R sl because they were the cheapest
that day when I was in CompUSA. I bought a 100-disc silo but I'm almost out.
The drive works pretty well and the only thing that has bitten me is the DRM.
I can record movies I tivo from Showtime, but anything from HBO will fail. The
drive will stop with a few seconds of pressing record. I've also dumped a fair
number of my personal VHS tapes to DVD and that works great.

Walt
.
.
| Date: July 15-23, 2006 - More info: http://meet.dakota-truck.net |