Re: Time of day to fuel up (was: Plugged Oil Filters)

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2006 - 13:04:20 EDT

On Wed, October 11, 2006 6:54 am, DAKSY said:

> I haven't noticed any price/temperature corrections locally. I don't agree
> with your last statement, tho....If you fill your tank when the temperature
> of the TANK is hot, I would think that the amount of fuel that you're
> getting into a warm tank would be less because of expansion as it enters the
> tank at least inititially, until the tank normalizes itself to the
> temperature of the fuel...

Yeah, if there's any expansion of the fuel when it hits your tank, then the
tank won't hold as much. (Whether or not there's any expansion is
questionable.) However, the meter on the pump measures the gas before it hits
the warm tank, so the meter would show that your tank didn't hold as much and
you wouldn't get charged as much. It would just mean you would have to fill
up sooner.

For example (these numbers are totally made up and I'm sure they bear no
resemblance to reality)... let's say your tank is 11 gallons below full. You
pump in 10 gallons of cold fuel, which expands as soon as it hits the warmer
tank to take up 11 gallons of space. The pump says you used 10 gallons, so
you pay for 10 gallons.

It would only become a problem if the pump charged you for 11 gallons and you
only got 10, but I don't have any reason to think that would ever happen. I
guess it could also be a problem on a winter morning if your tank is cold, and
you manage to squeeze in 11.5 gallons, then park the truck in the sun. If it
warms up, you might spill some fuel.

Actually, come to think of it, I seem to remember reading that the VW TDI
models have some kind of pressure relief system for this exact problem, so I
guess there is some amount of expansion possible. At least for diesel fuel.

> Just my $.02...not sure what that computes to in "Loonies" 8-)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=0.02+USD+in+CAD
Google Knows All :-)