Re: Time of day to fuel up (was: Plugged Oil Filters)

From: droo (03dakotacc4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2006 - 21:31:23 EDT

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 13:04:20 -0400, Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net>
wrote:

> Yeah, if there's any expansion of the fuel when it hits your tank, then
> the
> tank won't hold as much. (Whether or not there's any expansion is
> questionable.) However, the meter on the pump measures the gas before
> it hits
> the warm tank, so the meter would show that your tank didn't hold as
> much and
> you wouldn't get charged as much. It would just mean you would have to
> fill
> up sooner.
>
> For example (these numbers are totally made up and I'm sure they bear no
> resemblance to reality)... let's say your tank is 11 gallons below
> full. You
> pump in 10 gallons of cold fuel, which expands as soon as it hits the
> warmer
> tank to take up 11 gallons of space. The pump says you used 10 gallons,
> so
> you pay for 10 gallons.
>
> It would only become a problem if the pump charged you for 11 gallons
> and you
> only got 10, but I don't have any reason to think that would ever
> happen. I
> guess it could also be a problem on a winter morning if your tank is
> cold, and
> you manage to squeeze in 11.5 gallons, then park the truck in the sun.
> If it
> warms up, you might spill some fuel.

10 gallons of gasloline is not going to change much in temperature but
touching your gas tank. Also, you aren't getting more gasoline is that 10
gallons expands to 11. You still have the same number of molecules that
will combust. The whole point of the correction is so you don't get
charged unfairly based on the mass per volume. If it's cold, you'll get
more molecules per gallon measured. If it's hot you get less molecules.
the idea is that you get charged based on the mass not the volume. Even
though that's how it's measured.

--
-droo

2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8 4X4 Manual Transmission Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's Can-Back Soft Topper Rhinoliner Alpine CD Head Unit w/ XM Alpine 6 3/4" Speakers Sony 8" Subwoofer Q-Logic Custom Fit Enclosure