Re: Time of day to fuel up (was: Plugged Oil Filters)

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2006 - 09:44:22 EDT

Another 2c on fuel expansion:

Chevron has this to say about diesel's thermal expansion:

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/bulletin/diesel/L2_4_6_rf.htm

THERMAL EXPANSION
Like all liquids, diesel fuel slightly expands in volume as its
temperature increases. The coefficient of thermal expansion measures the
rate of the expansion. A typical value of the coefficient of thermal
expansion for diesel fuel is 0.00046 per degree Fahrenheit. Using this
value, 1.000 gallon of diesel fuel at 20°F will expand to 1.037 gal-lons
at 100°F.
</quote>

That would make 15 gallons of D2 into 15.555 gal.

I've had trouble finding Chevron's number for unleaded gasoline, I'd
rather compare apples to apples. They have this to say about Aviation
Kero expansion:

http://www.chevron.com/products/prodserv/fuels/bulletin/aviationfuel/2_at_fuel_perf.shtm

Liquids increase in volume as their temperatures increase. The
coefficient of thermal expansion is a measure of the rate of volume
increase with temperature. A typical value for the coefficient of
thermal expansion of kerosene-type jet fuel is 0.00099 per degree
Celsius [(ºC).1] [(0.00055ºF).1]. At this rate, one gallon of jet fuel
will expand 4.0 percent for an increase in temperature of 40ºC [1.000
gallon at 0ºC (32ºF): 1.040 gallon at 40ºC (104ºF)].
     Of course, the relationship is reversible. For example, as jet fuel
cools in the aircraft.s tanks during flight, it will occupy a smaller
volume than it did on the ground. The coefficient of thermal expansion
can be used to calculate the volume decrease.
</quote>

Using the same 20F to 100F, 15 gallons of Aviation Kerosine become
15.66 gallons. I'm surprised this isn't closer to the #2 Diesel number,
Kero is pretty much identical to #1 diesel. Though I suppose with gel
point differences, it's not surprising that things are different with
expansion too.

I can't find Chevron's numbers for unleaded motor vehicle gasoline, but
going off of the wwu.edu numbers quoted earlier, the same 15 gallons of
gas going from 20F to 100F become 15.1368. That just doesn't seem quite
right to me, and doesn't jive with my expirience. Very interesting
though.

--
  +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
  | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |