RE: Ball Joint Bewilderment

From: Ray Block (bpracing@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2006 - 04:11:45 EDT

Have you looked at a new ball joint? Are the threads wide and flat? If
so, they would be similar to the ball joints all the 1970's mopars used. I
have changed some of those and there is indeed a special socket for them. I
ordered mine through a local auto parts store. Almost certainly a Mac or
Matco tool distributor would have (or could get) one. It would be a lot
cheaper though if you could rent one... or borrow from a mopar tech.

Word of warning...if you mess up the threads in the control arm, you will
need to either replace the arm or use tack welds to help keep the joint in
place. As you might imagine, too much heat in this area is not a good
thing.

Ray