Re: CB in a Gen1-2

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2006 - 22:57:38 EST

Don Rey wrote:

> I'm looking at getting a CB, but sqeezing extra sctuff into a regcab
> is always difficult. So, who's got a CB in a Gen 1 or 2? Where did you
> put it? Any pictures of the mounting?
>
> Tom, I know you've got one where the ashtray used to be. How far does
> it stick out...? I have the shifter to deal with on mine, and it
> clears my ashtray by less than in inch in 1st, 3rd, & 5th (in fact, in
> these gears, I can't even open the ashtray fully!) You have any
> pictures?

Hey Don! I have mounted a Cobra 19DX-III where the ash tray was, yes.
It does stick out farther than the ashtray does. I could get pics later
if you like. Its not installed at the moment but it wouldn't take much
to pop it in for a snapshot. I'm not sure you will have much luck with
one there. If you can't keep the ashtray open with the shifter forward,
I doubt the CB will fit there. You could mount it where the cup holders
are - but thats not really within easy reach.

I want to say I've seen a CD deck/head unit with a built in CB radio,
but a fast search on google didn't turn up any results. Ideally tha
would be the best case situation. Find a head unit with a CB built in.

Alternativly, you can go with the hand held all-in-one unit that someone
else suggested. They are not quite as good as a stand alone CB radio if
you ask me. they sacrifice features for compact size. But if all you
care about is basic communication on the trails and highway they are good.

> Also, anyone install their antenna somewhere other than the roof?
> Obviously I don't have a roof... I'm thinking about putting one in my
> brush guard. That poses two slight problems... 1) it will act slightly
> directional mounted there 2) It won't look good as a towering whip -
> I'm thinking 3ft is only slightly obnoxious, but I'm gonna try it. So
> I'm thinking about alternatives or where I might put a second antenna
> (step bumper is the best I've come up with so far). I use my tonneau
> cover, so that rules out most of the bed.

I have a Lil'Wil (Wilson) magnetic mount, I've been meaning to do
something more permenent... but not yet. I've been planning on
fabricating a mount for the bed side of the truck in the rear.

Mike Maskalans used a Firestick antenna in the stock location on his
GenIII and I'm pretty sure that allows the use of his radio and his CB?
  But I'm not totally positive.

"The word, is no. I am therefore going anyway." - James T. Kirk

75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4 http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/ AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine