Re: Chrome Repair

From: DAKSY (rsmith13@nycap.rr.com)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2007 - 20:19:57 EDT

Hey, T-Tom!

<> I'm thinking about things waaay down the line on my list of things to do
 with Christine... but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about
 chrome repair?<>

I do! I was extensively involved with the chrome plating of the bore of the
120mm M256 Cannon in my last life as a machinist...

<> Can those holes be welded closed and the dent repaired and the bar
rechromed?<>

Yes, but it'll probably cost ya big $$$...First thing I'd do is to have the
bar de-plated. If there's a local metal finishing company with a large enuff
tank, the chrome can be electrically UN-deposited by reversing the electron
flow thru the bar...They'll probably hafta fabricate an anode/cathode
plating fixture - THAT'S where the $$$ comes in...THEN I'd weld the damaged
areas & have them benched smooth...

<>But I'd rather fresh chrome. I just don't know whats involved with the
process.<>

Return the bar to the E-F company & they can re-use the de-plating set-up to
re-apply the chrome...I know of two places here in
Upstate NY that can probably do it, but the shipping costs will probably be
prohibitive...
There must be an electro-plater out there in Cheesehead land...
If not, I know there used to be a LOT of small shops around the
Detroit/Warren Michigan area...US Army Tank Command is still out there &
what's left of the big three need that sort of application...
Good Luck!

Bob (DAKSY) Smith
DAKSY2K on AIM
2K SY Dakota Sport +