Re: Extended warranty

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Jul 19 2007 - 11:25:06 EDT

"Pindell, Tim P" <TPindell@otterbein.edu> wrote:

> I'm trying to get all of these details considered before I make an offer
> on a SRT10. I'm now weighing my options on extended warranties. I've
> never bought one before. Have you fellas been generally well-served by
> your Chrysler Extended warranty? I got a $1285 "Maximum Care" quote for
> 7yr/50k miles from in-service date. Seems reasonable to me. It's the
> top-tier plan that covers anything mechanical including electrical,
> instrumentation, HVAC...the stuff I hate to work on.

    I'm still not sure about the warranties. :-) I purchased them on
my new '96 Dak, my used '92 Ram and my used '01 Ram 3500 CTD. The
warranty on the '96 Dak paid for itself and then some, the one on the
'92 Ram paid for itself, and I've had some work done on the '01 but it
has not yet reached the break-even point.

    I guess you've got to weigh the odds that something will break,
considering what is likely to break, and what your personal abilities
might be repairing the part, or what it would cost to have the dealer
or an independent do it if you can't. On the SRT10 which is a
relatively new truck and I've got to think there are a fair number of
high dollar items in it, I admit I would probably be looking at an
extended warranty fairly hard.

    See if you can get the dealership you are buying the truck from to
sell you the warranty at their cost. I don't know if the warranty
prices differ depending on the vehicle, but when I got the one for the
'01 Ram 3500 CTD, it was the 7/50 Max plan with no deductable and I
paid $988 (plus tax) for it. The truck had just under 28,000 miles on
it at the time. I got the 50,000 mile plan which means the warranty
was really only good for another 20,000 miles, but I got it for the
time, not the miles. At the rate I drive the truck, the 7 years will
expire before the miles, so I was able to save some money by getting
the 50,000 mile one. (Looks like you are doing the same thing.)

    There is also the aftermarket warranty route, but I don't really
have any experience in that area and I don't know who the "good" or
"bad" companies are.

--
                                          -Jon-