Re: Exhaust Manifold Flange Bolts

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2007 - 05:55:35 EDT

Honestly, I dug around in my coffee can and found 2 bolts that were
about the right size and tried to use them, discovered that more
"compression" was needed, grabbed longer bolts, and had at it. It took
a bit of fumbling before I realized that the little 2" clamp that I had
on there to get home also made an excellent "hold this togeather while I
stick a bolt in here" part. 2" is likely an exaggeration, but I had to
use a few washers since my choice from the spares bucket was "too long"
or "too short".

I conscripted a victim to help, as I could only fit one arm up from the
bottom and thus had my choice of either hold it togeather or fish the
bolt through. I held from the bottom and had a friend reach over my
tire and fish the bolt through. The hardest part was sawzalling the
other bolt out so I could replace it, the ^@$#^@# kept rotating, so my
sawzall ended up being a coarse file...