Re: Smog failure, a little help please

From: Craig Faison (cfaison@magpage.com)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2008 - 19:31:56 EST

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, Biff Byrum wrote:

> It's history: It's a 95 RC, 3.9, AX15. Over 480,000 miles, but still running
> great when I last used it. Almost never less than 20+ mpg at sea level,
> combined driving.

480,000 miles! Congratulations.

> I would appreciate any help anyone can provide. I love that thing and would
> like to keep it around as a backup. Not that I don't love my current one, a
> 98 SLT CC in Forest Green over Alum. just as much. Thanks, Biff Byrum

You don't mention the age or condition of the oil. In an engine with that
mileage, there's sure to be some blowby and/or valve guide/seal leakage
letting engine oil into the cylinders. Clean oil should make a
significant difference. My wife's old Laser once failed emissions testing
by huge margins and then passed with flying colors the following day after
an oil change.

Good luck,
Craig