Re: Dual Alternators

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sun Sep 21 2008 - 00:14:04 EDT

On Sep 20, 2008, at 6:48 PM, Terrible Tom wrote:

> Ok - I've been brushing up on my alternator tech - and as far as I
> can tell, it shouldnt be too hard to rig up a 2nd alternator (aside
> from the mounting fabrication) My question is, does anyone think
> the PCM would have any problem regulating the voltage of two
> alternators? From what I remember, the regulator simply monitors
> voltage, adjusting to compensate for battery charge levels. It would
> simply be working two regulators in tandem right?

What's your goal? Backup alt? Onboard welder?

I would run an external regulator on the secondary alternator. Even
with two "identical" alternators the output may vary slightly for a
given field coil voltage, and the resistance and load of that field
coil circuit would be thrown way off. Charging a dead battery you
could potentially be drawing 5a on each field coil and doubling draw
on anything through the ECU is a gamble I wouldn't come anywhere near.

Mike
BrokenKota on 40s. fresh body damage too.