Re: Shuts Downs

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Jan 31 2009 - 13:26:31 EST

"Jamie Calder" <jcalder3@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> My '96 OBDII 318 occasionally shuts down all by itself. If I'm at a light,
> it will just turn off, in drive or neutral however will easily start back up
> when the key is turned. Sometimes it stumbles to the point of almost
> stalling (POAS) but doesn't. It also happens when moving but it starts back
> up right away by itself. Kind of like the key is being turned to off then
> run quickly. A friends mechanic dad said he has seen it once in a 318 van
> and once a Jeep. Replacing the computer was the permanent fix while
> wiggling the computer connector was a temporary fix. I recently (5 months
> ago) replaced the CPS when the truck died and wouldn't start up again.
> Any thoughts?
> Thanks,
> James

  It *could* be the "splice of death"
(http://faq.dakota-truck.net/Electronics/gen2_stalling.html), but I'm
not sure if that affects the '96 or not. Plus, when the "splice of
death" strikes, I think usually it will not restart. I had a similar
problem on my '96 which turned out to be a poor connection at the
coil.

  I'm with Bernd on the codes - when it does it, pull the codes right
away and see what you get. Maybe nothing, in which case you're no
better off than where you are now, but you might get lucky - any codes
which get stored may point you in the right direction; you may be able
to narrow it down to one particular system anyway. These intermittent
problems are the pits, and we can use all the help we can get! :-)

--
                                          -Jon-