1998 Dak loses power while driving

From: Geoffrey Hausheer (dakota1998@phracturedblue.com)
Date: Sun Feb 15 2009 - 16:59:35 EST

I haven't been on this list for about 10 years, but it's interesting I
still see many of the same names here as back then. Recently my 1998
5.2L 4x4 started acting up, and I thought I'd see if anyone here had
any ideas. I saw the recent thread on 'Shut Downs' which sounds
similar to my issue, though not necessarily the same.

When driving, my truck will occasionally lose power completely. As in
Jamie's case, it feels like the engine just turned off. If I'm
moving, then I can get it going my downshifting (just pushing in the
clutch and releasing it won't do it). If I'm stopped, turning the key
off then starting the engine again will resolve it. The gauges
continue to work normally, and no lights flash or anything. Radio and
lights work fine even while the engine is in this 'off' state, and
there's no noticable flickering or glitches when it happens.

It doesn't normally trigger a code, though I've gotten a few every
once in a while.

The last set I pulled were:
P0505 IACS
P0351 ICAP/SC
P0113 IATS1CHI
(though this was after I accidentally left the dome light on for a
week which killed my battery, and they could be related to that). My
intake air sensor is also not in the air-stream, and frequently
triggers a code, so the P0113 is likely not related)

I also get failing $06 Codes:
$11 O2S11SWCT Value = 12.0 (Min 56.0)
$15 CAT11PRC Value = 0.0 (Min 3.0)

As I said, I don't get codes every time the engine stalls like this.
At the moment, I can't go more than ~20mins without this happening,
which has made the truck too unreliable for me to drive it much.

I'm not sure it's related, but for the past several years, I've had a
very rare issue where I'd get the same issue when accelerating, but
simply taking my foot off the gas would be sufficient to get the
engine going again, but the current issue happens much more
frequently, and is significantly more annoying to deal with.

If it is a loose wire/bad connection, it'll be extremely frustrating
to find, so I thought I'd see what other sensors could trigger this
condition.
I don't think a bad TPS would cause this condition, but what about a
bad MAP sensor?
The service manual is next to useless for debugging these issues; is
the power-train manual more helpful?

Thanks,
.Geoff