Re: Upgrade advice

From: TerribleTom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jul 21 2010 - 11:18:25 EDT

Gary Hedlin wrote:
> I've towed bikes from IL to Sturgis SD a few times, my auto trans
> worked fairly well. I think if I had to shift the whole way, I'ld
> want to blow my brains out halfway there.
>
> Plus, don't most of the big rigs have automatics in them nowadays?
> You'ld think if they're moving that way there has to be an advantage.
>
> Gary

Highway driving with a stick shift is a cake walk. You don't shift
anywhere near as much as in stop and go city traffic.

As for tractor-trailers, I believe the majority of long haul OTH trucks
still use stick shifts, as they are generally more reliable, have less
parasitic power loss, and may be more fuel efficient than an automatic.
  Its been my understanding that straight trucks and local route semis
(like delivery trucks) are more apt to have an automatic in them.

TerribleTom