Re: New problem: Lack of Power

From: Robert P. Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 1996 - 11:30:54 EST

At 08:58 PM 11/11/96 -0800, you wrote:

> 7:30 PST: (Go Chargers!)
>
> I replaced the wires. I replaced the cap/rotor... The rotor was slightly
>worn, the cap was burnt on each elect-road :), with the plastic burnt on each
>'corner' of the contact point. I thought for-sure this was it.
>
> I took it out for a spin... Same thing (30 mph this time). I pulled into
>the center lane on my street, stopped, put the clutch in, and held the revs. @
>2200 rpm... The truck went from 2200, down to 1800, up 2200, down to 1800,
back
>and forth...As if I was doing a smooth up, and down movement with the
>throttle... ALSO: The shift indicator light came on around 2500 (in
neutral).
>I suspected my SBEC, so I replaced the MP SBEC with my stock unit.
>
> So far, the truck seems ok, not doing the 'ghost' cut outs, and such.
I do
>have the up shift light coming on in neutral, if I rev it up to 2800-3200 rpm,
>and for the life of me I cannot remember if it did that a week ago. Does
anyone
>else out there have the 5 speed???
>
> So I needed the plug wires/cap/rotor anyway...but we will see what else is
>up. If it is the MP SBEC.... Oh JULES??!?! What's the warranty on this
>thing??? :)
>
> ...Sam '95 SLT

Sam:

I had a problem with 'missing' on my '78 clubcab (360 V8) on a Sunday. The
plastic on the leading edge of the cap's electodes was badly burned. I
replaced the cap, which appeared to solve the problem for about 24 hours,
then it begain again.

Took it into my mechanic on Monday .... problem was a bad coil.

Hope this helps.

Robert P. Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, British Columbia