Re: Mopar Performance's Muscle

From: Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com
Date: Wed Mar 05 1997 - 05:47:38 EST

     I think half the problem was the fact that they brought an automatic.
     I've got nothin' against an automatic 'cuz when the power is there you
     can't beat the consistancy. The problem is you can lose up to 50hp at
     the rear wheels (stress "up to") using an auto instead of a stick.

     I can't remember off the top of my head.....was there a sbec and a cam
     in that truck too? With mid 15's I hope not.

     I was kind of disappointed with the Dakota in the article for two
     reasons. One being the underhood shot of the '96. I think is was
     Kendall that mentioned that first. The other was that there wasn't a
     better shot of the 275/60's they were running on the back. When I
     read that I thought "Here's the answer to my 'big tire' dilemma." but
     there's not a good shot to see if they're hanging out in the wind or
     not. Oh well....I'll just have to have the tire shop test mount 'em
     first so I can see. If they hang out I'm going to 255/70's for street
     (rear).

     sean

Speaking of performance, did anyone catch the 97 Sport that MOPAR PERFORMANCE
brought to Phoenix for the truck showdown? It had headers, K&N, shift kit,
gears, etc and ran a mid 15 sec 1/4 mile at 90 ish???? Come on?!!
What a embarrassment! I think those engineers should have brought the 360
proto with the R/T goodies and ran in the 13 teens and then said to the Mag's
"This is our stock offering 98 Dakota R/T". All the S-10 and Ranger and Neon
boys are loving it with that timeslip. I think they brought the stock 4
banger.
Kuk