Coolant smell resolved? yep (i hope) - long dragged out version

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Wed May 21 1997 - 19:55:03 EDT

>I've been on this list since January, and remember
>the following discussions with the 97's
>
> + Coolant smell from AC... Was this ever resolved?
>+-------------------------------------------------+
>| Chip Maurer Digital Equipment Corporation |
>| chip@unx.dec.com 200 Route 9 North |
>| (908) 577-6195 Manalapan, NJ 07726 |
>+-------------------------------------------------+

Ok, here's how it all broke down:

First time I had them check this coolant smell in the HVAC was when I took
it in for the failed ABS. They told me that time that they couldn't find
anything. I later found that they simply looked under the truck for a
leak. I told 'em that it was probably the heater core as the smell got
worse as you dialed in more heat. Seems simple don't ya think?

Second time in came a couple of week's later after getting in the truck one
mornin' to go to work and finding a 50 cent sized puddle of coolant on the
passenger side floor mat (I had heavy rubber mats in). This time they
sprayed some citrus crap in the vents. That lasted about two days and then
the smell came back. Now I'm gettin' a little upset. Still waiting for
brake parts.

Third time in was when the brake parts came. One day short of 2 months
after the initial diagnosis. I had told 'em I wasn't going to bring it in
again until the brake parts came in 'cuz I was sick of runnin' down there
and havin' to drive some little piece-o-*&$# 4 banger loaner (took out my
frustration by doing neutral dumps from 5k at lunch with my buddies 8^) ).
 This time they tried to tell me it was my rubber floor mats causing the
smell. When I argued that the smell was there before the mats were put in
and how do they explain the coolant leak he answered with "there's only so
much we're authorized to do". I told him fine, I'll try your suggestion of
driving without the mats for a week but you better understand why I'm
pissed at the end of the week when the smell is still there. One week with
no mats........smell still there.

Fourth time in. They finally agreed to look under the dash at the core.
When I called early afternoon I found that instead of looking they got
authorization to just replace the core......should be ready the next day
(this was Monday.....I was moving starting on Saturday). Tuesday I call
and they tell me the part is backordered. I tell 'em there's no way I'm
waitin' like I had to for the brake parts. They could hang on to it for a
couple days while I beat on the loaner but I needed the truck for the
weekend. Wednesday late afternoon the service consultant calls and says
they located one at another dealership and had already sent a porter to go
get it. They mechanic stayed late to get it done. Thursday after work I
get there to pick it up and as I pull out I notice the smell. I'm thinkin'
"ok, I'll give a few minutes to air out at speed, maybe he just spilled a
little on the install....could be expected". Two miles down the road the
windows are foggin' up and won't clear......I look to the passenger side
and there is coolant all over the floor....then I look under my feet and,
low and behold, coolant there too. Now I'm flat pi$$ed. I fly back, pull
into service (and of course it's after 6 and it's practically empty
.......don't know why they say they have late hours certain
nights....nobody that can do anything is there). I start bitchin' and
tellin' 'em I *have* to have a truck by noon the next day because I'm
movin'. I walk over and get the Assistant Service Manager and show
him....his comment?....."Uh, sorry, it must have been a bad part". No,
"I'll personally oversee this gets fixed", nothing. Little did I know that
one of the people that did see the coolant bath on my floor was the Service
Manager. Now that he's involved stuff starts to happen. They get me a
mini van as a loaner (this worked out better than my truck). Now the core
is back-ordered. The Service Manager gets authorization to install the
core from the heavy-duty cooling package; this part he had in stock. The
SM happened to be a "car-guy" and got to talkin' to me about the truck
(FIPK clone was on by this time). He had it sent out to a local detail
shop to have the coolant mess cleaned up. Except for the cig. hole in my
driver's seat from the detail shop (still have to find time to get it in
for a fix) everthing seems to be ok.

whew. now I need a nap. thanks for letting me vent.