Re: Gibson Cat-back Exhaust.....

From: Phil Hyde (philh@insync.net)
Date: Mon Jun 09 1997 - 23:26:51 EDT

Sean Meldrum wrote:
> >I've been looking at the Gibson cat-back system - do you think
> >it's worth buying? Claims to add 30hp to a magnum V8! That
> >says very littly in defense of the factory system. Sounds
> >to me like the CC guys came up with one hellofa engine and
> >then choked it to death.
> >
> This is a *definite*. If you look at any other factory V8 offering with
> near the same power levels the minimum would probably be a dual 2 - 2 1/4"
> exhaust. Or a 3" single. The factory single 2 1/2" is a cork! You really
> want to see something take a look at yer Y-pipe. John measured it at 1
> 3/4". It's all got to go I say!!!! 8^)

Has anyone on the list done a custom dual setup with hi-flo cats? It
can be done, and sounds like it would produce maybe 50hp?

A simliar comparison is the car I used to drive - Ford Taurus SHO.
The factory came up with a 3.0L DOHC V6 that produced 300hp in
stock trim. Then, they had to choke the hell out of it to get
it down to 220hp so they could put a cheap transaxle under it.
You can get an easy 30-40hp with a custom exhaust on one of
those cars. Well, enough about that......

--
Phil Hyde - Houston, TX.
work - ephy@ngccorp.com (M-F 8-5)