Air filter selection

From: Shawn Shultzaberger (shultzas@mwr.kic.or.jp)
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 03:40:08 EDT

Okey dokey.... got something here that you all may have seen and then
maybe not... I saw it in an issue of Four Wheeler magazine. Basically
it was an article on how to select the proper size air filter for your
vehicle. Most of the data was from K&N......

    - K&N suggests choosing a filter with a height-to-diameter
ration of between1:4 to 1:5 if space permits.
    - Diameter of the filter in relation to the carb throat should be
atleast 3 times larger in size
    - This is their test of some filters: " Using a basic 1.5
inches of water pressure drop as a maximum, a typical K&N air filter
will flow 6.03 cubic feet per minute of air per square inch of effective
filter area. The best paper element will flow about 4.95cfm's and a
synthetic foam element will flow about 4.38cfm's. "

    Now they gave some formula's too. But basically bigger is better.

       CID x RPM
A= ------------ where A= effective filtering area in inches.
          25,5000
CID = Cubic inch displacement and RPM= Rpm at which peak horsepower is
attained.

To find total height (including rubber sealing edges)

H= ---------- + .75
        D x 3.14

D= estimated max diameter that will fit unobstructed in vehicle and H=
height of filter.

and their example was a Chevy bigblock that produces peak horsepower at
4700rpms.

        45 x 4,700
A= ------------- = 83.7 square inches
           25,500

and assuming that a 12 inch filter is to be used

            83.7
H= ------------ + .75 = 2.97 inches or roughly 3 inches....
          12 x 3.14

whew...!!

Like I said.. I guess bigger is better......

Shawn
(97 V8 5spd RegCab 3.55SG)