Working on the FAQ

From: Piziali (piziali@slip.net)
Date: Thu Jun 26 1997 - 14:22:47 EDT

As relatively new READER of this list and the incomplete knowledge
of all the acyonyms used, I'd like to suggest compiling a list of all
that are used. I volunteer to compile the list and forward it to
WHOMEVER is compiling the FAQ. I received ONE brief reply to my
request for definitions which I'll tack onto the end of this message
- please add to it any others that you know of. ALSO who is compiling
the FAQ?

  Here's what I have so far:

=====================
> MP SBEC = Mopar Performance Single Board Engine Controller (the
   brain/chip)

> ABS= Anti Lock Brake System (easy enough)

> RWAL= Rear Wheel " "

> FIPK/K&N = K&N brand, Fuel Injected-Filter Charger (an open air
   cleaner, chrome lid, with the filer exposed on the sides) Smog Legal
   50 states

> MSD6A= MSD brand, high performance ignition module, model # 6a
   (increased spark output, has multi-spark capability, etc.)

> SLT= A Dakota model, which is considered high end trim Which usually
   includes: air conditioning, bright package (chrome bumpers/mirrors
   (power mirrors), chrome grill, etc.), simulated wood grain dash,
   towing package, sound insulation, wheel moldings, etc. ('SLT+' has
   more stuff I am not aware of)

> SureGrip= Or 'anti spin' is a limited slip differential... If one
   wheel loses traction, the other wheel will drive... Unlike most, where
   the left wheel will not move, while the right wheel spins wildly. It
   is a very beneficial item to have, especially on sandy/muddy roads.

> 3.21/3.55/3.90= Rear end gearing ratio... The number of revolutions
   of the drive shaft as compared to 1 revolution of the rear axle. 3.21
   is the standard ratio in a 5 speed (not available in an auto), 3.55 is
   optional for 5 speed, standard in auto.. 3.90/3.92 is optional in all.
   3.21 is great for mileage, but not for towing with only a 2000# towing
   rating (I THINK?!?) 3.55 is a good mix of mileage and towing with a
   5500# rating (V8). 3.90 has the best towing rating of 6900# (5 speed),
   6700# (auto) '96 model year rating was raised 300# on each (7100#) and
   (7000#). Mileage wise it is slightly lower than the 3.55, but 1-2 mpg
   is a big deal when talking 17mpg vs. 19 mpg.

> DT Headers- Doug Thorley brand, tubular (totally!) exhaust
   manifolds.. lowers backpressure, increases HP, and especially torque.
   Smog legal 50 states...

> 3" Cat back- 3" exhaust, from the Catalytic converter back to the
   tail pipe-- normally involves replacing stock muffler with an
   aftermarket, low back pressure unit. This increases HP, but does lower
   torque somewhat (used in conjunction with headers, it makes for a well
   rounded system) Smog legal 50 states...

> OBD-II; On Board Diagnostics, "II" is the latest version since
   about'94