Re: Which payload option to buy?

From: Andy Callahan (quasideedle@uky.campus.mci.net)
Date: Fri Sep 05 1997 - 15:28:38 EDT

> Don't know what to say. All I know is that I drove a 97 Dak, V8, CC,
>2WD with the Tire and Handling package off the lot and my wife and I
>hated it. I had it all weekend and put 250 miles on it. The ride was
>very, very, very rough. The 35 mile drive to work was not enjoyable. I
>would have bought the truck for the v8. I was really, really worried if
>I was about to make a mistake. The ride was really really bad. Every
>expansion joint in the pavement was felt if your butt as you rode over
>it.
>
> We could not come to an agreement on the price of the truck so I
>didn't purchase it. I then found a similarly equiped truck in a better
>color and without the tire and handling package. It was $1200 less and
>I bought it. I love it.
>
> I have always assumed that the tire and handling package was the
>reason the ride was rougher. It may have been a problem with the truck.
>There was no 'shimmy' or vibration... you could just feel every bump,
>crack, surface, etc in the pavement in the seat of your pants. It
>wasn't just me... my wife and I discussed this in great detail as
>she tried to ask me... do you really want this truck?
>
> Anyway... we both like the ride in the new truck. Don't take my
>word as gospel. I hope that there was a problem with the truck I didn't
>get. I'd hate to think that it was a 'normal' ride.
>
> Good luck.
>

>Jack Snodgrass - jack@cybermail.net
> '97 Dakota SLT+ CC, 2w, V8, auto, Fresh air by Meldrum

What were the other differences in the trucks. Could the first one have
had stiffer springs, i.e. higher payload rating? I'm not saying that the
truck didn't just ride smoother. I just didn't want the tire and handling
package to get any undue negative reviews. I love the T & H package on my
truck. It handles considerably better than the CC I drove without T & H
(especially with my 275/60's all around). I also love the look of the
wheels better. These are just my opinions. I haven't really noticed the
ride of my truck as rough at all. I've even commented on how much smoother
it rides than my old '89 T-bird (except of course for an occasional
tail-hop or -shimmy). Maybe it was just the tire pressure as Dick suggested.

Andy