FIPK-clone PCV? Was Re: 14" FABM for '96?

From: Rader (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Wed Oct 08 1997 - 09:02:25 EDT

Jon Steiger wrote:

> Hmmmm... I've been looking at Sean's web site, and I only noticed the plans
> and stuff for a 10" FABM.

  I'm in the middle of kludging up a 14" FIPK-clone for my '95. I
snagged the nice plain chrome Mr. Gasket Daytona 14" air cleaner
when I chanced upon it buying fluids at a local AutoZone. I don't
like the embossed logos that come with just about every other brand
(Edelbrock, K&N, Moroso, et al).

  I have not yet purchased the 3" K&N element (the air can came with
a 2" paper element), but initial tests with tape measure indicate no
clearance problems.

  My problem is the cheeseball PCV fitting they supply with the can.
I can't believe it would seal, so instead wedged a rubber grommet in
the center knockout. So far so good, but unfortunately I can't fit
the stock 1/2" plastic 90deg elbow in there. Can't find a 3/8" to
1/2" elbow in town, either.

  What have you other FIPK-clone kludgers done for PCV fittings?
I was a little concerned about sucking oil through the throttle body
as well, and was even considering putting a breather filter in there.
Any ideas?

  The upshot is that the 14" can should fit in your '96, and if you're
willing to trust the silly bolt-on PCV fitting, you'll have it up and
running in about 15 minutes. Or you can be anal-retentive like me. ;)

  Ron