Re: Best Dak finish (paint)

From: 00gtomo@bsuvc.bsu.edu
Date: Thu Dec 04 1997 - 15:14:15 EST

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Court of Civil Appeals wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Jeff Lee wrote:
> I've heard that the clearcoats are easier to work with. Any thoughts?

> Having seven years experience with a black dak, I would suggest (1) NEVER
> use ANY compound on black unless absolutely necessary cuz it does look like
> someone's used a scotchbrite on it, (2) NEVER use a power buffer on black
> cuz you'll have swirls visible in the sun until you have the vehicle
> repainted, and (3) NEVER use ANYTHING other than something close to pure
> wax, i.e., no wax/compound combos. Meguiars is probably the best, although
> I've had reasonable luck with Turtle, and have gotten some cream from a
> local F__d body man that they use on the showroom vehicles that's mostly
> carnuba.
>
> P.S. Just sold my black 91 LE CC V8 auto to a local radiologist for $6500.
> Now waiting for black QuadCab SLT 5.9L (360 c.i.) auto 3.55 posi ordered
> 11/23.
>
> Chris

Chris

Would having it wet sanded get the swirls out? I was wondering since a
friend took his 90 SuperCoupe (black) and had it wet sanded and buffed at
a body shop the paint looks brand new. It was pretty bad before he took
it there.

It would cost $950 for a repaint and only $200 for wet sanding and
buffing. Just curious what your opinion is.

TIA

Gregg
92 CC V6, msd ignition and blaster 3 coil, FIPK clone and s-bolt