Re: Insurance

From: Bruce Aaron Hefner (gt9742a@prism.gatech.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 09 1997 - 09:35:48 EST

> Walter-
>
> I personally hate insurance companies for a different reason . . .
>
> About nine years ago I worked as a free-lance videographer. I did that for
> two years until my wife became pregnant and I decided to get a full-time
> job with health insurance. Anyway, the self-employeed are pretty much
> f**cked by the government when tax time comes around, and I ended up owing
> both state and federal taxes (which I didn't have the money to pay in
> full.) The feds were cool, and let me pay it out over time. But the state
> (which also happened to be my then/now employer) wouldn't let me pay it
> over time without placing a tax lien on me. Well just fine (or so I
> thought.) I evently paid my taxes in full, and thought I was finished with
> the ordeal. About that time I decided to get some renters insurance and
> thought first of the company I had my auto insurance with, Nationwide.
> Well, I had had auto insurance with Nationwide for ten years, first on my
> parent's policy and then on my own. I had previously had one accident (I
> tore up a tire and wheel on a curb) and no tickets in a three-year period.
> Anyway, Nationwide said I was a bad risk for the renters insurance because
> I had a tax lien against me. And then about a month later, they cancelled
> my auto insurance. For one thing, my credit report was incorrect, which
> didn't matter to them. My agent was absolutely no help, and so now I'm
> currently with Farmers. I've still got incorrect things on my credit
> report, and when I get it all straightened out I'll probably switch to
> State Farm.
>
> David Settlemoir
> dsettlemoir@aristotle.net

I tell you one way to get your credit report fixed, apply for a credit
card, when you get the rejection letter back (And if you don't, and they
send you a card you can either keep it or rip it up at your discretion,
just keep sending in till you do get rejected) it will have the number and
address of the credit reporting agency on it and will usually contain a
paragraph or 2 on how to have your credit report corrected if you think it
is in error and it'll tell you that you have 90 days to get a free copy of
your credit report to see exactly what they have listed about you. So
then you have a lot more info to work with while trying to get your
credit report fixed, hope this helps.....

Bruce